Imperfections

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

NOTE: I wrote this blog on my myspace in February. My episode should be airing sometime this summer, but I will post that when I find out more!


Eight years ago, when I was a senior in high school, I looked in the mirror and the right side of my face was drooping. I smiled at myself, and I looked like I was suffering from a stoke. I got my mom and she didn't know what was going on. So, the next morning, I went to the doctor. "Oh, you have Bell's Palsy, here's some steriods to take. It should go away in about four or five days." Wrong. Graduation came, and I looked terrible. First year of college, still there. Fortunatley, I had taken my senior pictures about a month before I was diagnosed. Those are the last pictures I have of myself where I'm not so self-conscience.

What is Bell's Palsy, you ask? Well, it's a condition that causes the facial muscles to weaken or become paralyzed. It's caused by trauma to the 7th cranial nerve. Ok...so how did I get it? I have no idea. I was training to be a lifeguard when I was diagnosed. I thought it had something to do with diving, or I thought I had gotten germs from someone after we did CPR traning. LOL. The doctor couldn't tell me why I had gotten it.

Anyway, here I am, eight years later and I still can't stand to look at myself in pictures. Crooked smile, one eye smaller than the other. I can't blow up a balloon. Really, I can't. LOL. It's devasting. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal to some people, but it is to me.

SOOO...the whole reason for this blog was to let everyone know that I am going to Los Angeles on the 15th of this month, and I'm going to have Botox to see if it doesn't help with the paralysis of my facial muscles. Some studies have been done, and it has helped some people...... AND, it just so happens that they are going to use my story on Dr. 90210 on the E! channel. I am very excited to see if this works for me.



1 peeps said....:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that regardless of the paralysis, I still think you are beautiful... and I know there are many people who agree. Good luck with the botox and let me know when the show is going to air. I would love to see it. -- Chrissie